Come join a winning team.
Acumen Detection leverages over 50 years of proven system development expertise in creating state-of-the-art solutions used to protect the public’s health, and strengthen our food supply. Our staff is dedicated to keeping America safe and we enjoy doing it! We are a group of dedicated, hardworking professionals who share commitment and passion for the work we do and are looking for more like us. We work hard, play hard and most importantly enjoy what we do. And none of us here would have it any other way.
Molecular Biology Research Scientist
Food and agriculture safety have significant public health and economic impacts. Virtually every week there are new reports of food contamination outbreaks. The economic impact is especially true in New York, where dairy is the second largest industry in the state. Food safety and veterinary testing in the U.S. have a combined value of nearly $8 billion and that value is expected to rise to $9.4 billion by 2019. The challenge with current food and agriculture tests is that they take days to complete, and in that time contaminated food can be shipped, sold and consumed; and infected animals go without treatment, reducing farmers’ revenue, and potentially infecting other animals. Acumen Detection's mission is to develop and produce affordable, easy-to-use, accurate identification systems that provide actionable information to farmers and food processors within one to five hours, on the farm and in the processing facility.
As an SRC company, Acumen Detection LLC is leveraging over fifty years of proven system development expertise to create the state-of-the-art solutions that will be used to protect the public’s health, and strengthen our food supply. We are seeking a motivated and creative molecular biology research scientist to play a significant role in assay development for the detection of pathogens relating to the dairy and food industries. This position is expected to be primarily a laboratory research position, but will also include significant efforts in data research and analysis.
• Design, perform and analyze real-time qPCR assays
• Record experimental notes and results in an electronic notebook
• Critically assess data and troubleshoot experimental challenges
• Collaborate with research and development scientists to advance assay development projects
• Keep up to date with current, relevant literature and technologies
• Participate in a weekly group meeting and communicate experimental findings
• Adapt to changing priorities and perform other duties as assigned
• Attend scientific conferences, trade shows and customer meetings
• Master’s degree with three or more years of experience in a research laboratory setting; Ph.D. in molecular biology, microbiology, biochemistry, or related scientific field preferred
• Expertise in molecular biology, microbiology and biochemistry techniques
• Demonstrated experience in developing testable hypotheses and experimental troubleshooting
• Highly organized, able to maintain well documented laboratory protocols and notebooks
• Demonstrated strong verbal and written skills
• Ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast-paced environment
• Familiar with following and implementing appropriate good laboratory practices (GLP) and/or ISO standards in research
• Experience handling biological safety level (BSL) 2+ microorganisms and knowledge regarding biosafety and biosecurity
• Able to work independently and as part of a team
Security Clearance Requirements
Must be a U.S. citizen, green card holder or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). Applicants will be subject to a background verification and drug screen.
Field Sales Representative
Acumen Detection, an SRC company, provides an affordable, quick, easy to use on-farm pathogen detection system that will improve the health of herds and increase profitability of dairy farms all around the world. The field sales representative is a key part of the customer success team. The chosen applicant will be responsible for promoting and selling Acumen Detection’s point of need identification system and bio identification assays both through direct sales and through our distribution partners. In this role you will manage a customer base, sales resources, products and channels to market to achieve planned results for the assigned territory. Expected results include but are not limited to, growth in sales and market share and channel development as well as developing distributor sales representatives within the territory.
Perform sales activities including customer site visits, telephone contact, trade seminars and shows, product demonstrations and channel management
Deliver comprehensive and accurate sales presentations using marketing materials. Demonstrate and present features and benefits of Acumen’s solution and products
Build long term mutually beneficial relationships with dairies, veterinary practices and consultants
Collect and report all territory information and activity in the CRM (salesforce.com)
Travel throughout an assigned territory, calling existing and prospective customers
Quote prices, terms and promotions based on target margins. Prepare sales quotes and contracts for orders
Provide key field input for the development of marketing programs. Monitor and report on market and industry trends
Bachelor’s degree in agricultural or life science with two or more years of sales experience is preferred.
Five or more years in dairy or agricultural sales in lieu of a bachelor’s degree.
Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and organizational skills and a proven ability to sell.
Ability to travel 50 percent.
Experience with a CRM, salesforce.com preferred.
Proficiency with Microsoft office applications.
A valid driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record.
Demonstrations are typically done on site at dairy farms, veterinary offices and trade shows. Lifting and carrying of materials (up to 50lbs).
Applicants must be a U.S. citizen and will be subject to a background verification and drug screen.
As an EEO/AA employer, the Company does not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant or employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any other basis protected by federal law. In addition, the Company complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the Company has facilities and employees.